It all started when I responded to a FREE Craigslist post for crates. I had no idea what I was going to do with them but went and got 6 of them. When I got them home they looked perfect for American Girl Doll Rooms-but they were too short.
You can see the 18″ doll’s head touches the top-so this wouldn’t work. The first thing I had to do was disassemble the box by removing just the top-But I kept the bracket from the top sides of the crates (there was one on each side). I then used the bracket as a template to make a larger (double sided) bracket. I attached one to the crate on both sides.
I used boards from the tops of the crates that were removed in the very first step to fill in the gaps in the back of the crates, and add a floor midway in the crates. She was so excited to pick out tiles, paint, paneling, etc to complete the rooms in her American Girl Doll House. This is the bedroom.
She also added a Beauty School a Dining Room and a living room The house isn’t completely finished yet….I have to add trim on the front to hide the boards, paint the sides, and we plan on putting some green astro turf on the top for a park/out door setting. In the mean time it is a huge hit with her and all of her friends. Here it is under her loft bed.
When we go to the Habitat Restore she gets the materials super cheap because she doesn’t need much. The peel and stick tiles for the floors were only 25 cents each and it only required 4 for each room. She got a carpet square for 50 cents that was big enough to do a room and make throw rugs. She also used a placemat found at Goodwill for a throw rug in the bedroom.